OVU STEPPING STONES History
In July, 1959, when Ohio Valley College was still in the planning stages, Mrs. Mabel Smith of Parkersburg heard about a women's organization that supported Oklahoma Christian College. She decided to help start a similar group to support the new Ohio Valley College. She initially met with Mrs. Garnet Heck, Mrs. Dorothy Hickman, and Mrs. Mildred Stanley to make plans for an organizational meeting to begin the new venture. On August 4, 1959, fourteen women met to form the first official Stepping Stones chapter for Ohio Valley University. The rest, as they say, is history!