Ohio Valley University on Facebook   
Ohio Valley University on Facebook   
Ohio Valley University on Facebook   


Please check back...

Phone version ready soon


Transfer Credit

Transfer Credits (Catalog Excerpt)

View full OVU Catalog

Except for the restrictions noted in this section, OVU accepts all passed college-level undergraduate credits earned at regionally accredited institutions as at least elective credit. A student who transfers coursework to Ohio Valley University will have that work evaluated on a course-by-course basis. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating and recording transcript information for admitted transfer students; the Office of the Registrar is the only entity that can decide which courses will be accepted for transfer, and all questions about transfer credit should be directed to that office. This evaluation will be recorded in as timely a manner as possible so that it can be used by the applicant/student and advisor.

Courses with an OVU equivalency will be recorded on the OVU transcript using the equivalent OVU course name and number. Courses without a specific OVU equivalency will be elective credit and identified on the transcript as TRANSELECT for general electives and TRANSTECH for technical electives. These courses can only be used for fulfilling the total credit hour requirement for a degree; they cannot be used to fulfill any program requirements. Furthermore, some programs limit the number of technical electives that can be used to fulfill degree requirements.

Transfer credit will be displayed on a student’s transcript in summary form. A more detailed listing showing the specific outside courses being transferred in and their OVU equivalencies (as well as transferred courses for which there is no OVU equivalency) is provided to the academic advisor and to the student through the academic advisor. If students have any question about the transferability of their courses or the transcript, they should direct them to the Office of the Registrar. A record showing how OVU has evaluated courses from other colleges and universities is available upon request form the Office of the Registrar.
Decisions about whether coursework accepted in transfer can be used to fulfill specific program requirements are made by the appropriate school chair or college dean. The registrar assigns general education credit.

No more than two courses with a grade of D will be accepted in transfer. In addition, because some programs require that a student must earn a particular grade in certain courses, if the transfer student earned a lower grade than the grade required by OVU, the course will not be accepted in transfer.

Coursework that is accepted in transfer, but which is not the same credit hour value as an equivalent Ohio Valley University course, will be considered as fulfilling degree requirements if the value of the transferred course is at least two-thirds the value of the equivalent Ohio Valley University course.

A student who transfers into a bachelor’s degree program with an associate of science, an associate of arts, or a higher degree from a regionally accredited institution will be considered to have fulfilled general education course requirements. However, other general education program requirements and specific requirements of the program still must be completed. Other associate degrees (for example, an associate of applied science) and work from other types of schools (schools of preaching, unaccredited colleges, colleges without regional accreditation, vocational/technical colleges, etc.) will be evaluated on an individual basis. Generally speaking, Ohio Valley University adheres to the credit practices established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) and published in its manual Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions.

Ohio Valley University does not accept developmental courses in transfer. Transfer students who have completed developmental courses at their previous institutions and have not completed courses equivalent to ENG131 (College Writing I) or higher or MAT146 (Real World Algebra and Quantitative Reasoning) or higher will need to take placement testing. Students who pass the placement tests will be placed in ENG131 or MAT146 or higher as is appropriate. Students who do not pass the placement tests will be required to take the appropriate developmental courses in English, mathematics, and reading.

Coursework that is transferred to Ohio Valley University at the time of first enrollment does not affect the student’s GPA. For transferred work that has an OVU equivalency, the course grade will appear on the transcript as TA, TB, TC, or TD, based on whether the student earned a grade of A, B, C, or D, respectively, at the previous institution. When coursework is transferred for which there is no equivalent OVU course or if OVU is accepting a degree in its entirety, the grade appears as TR.

If an Ohio Valley University student plans to complete coursework at another institution, called a host institution, and transfer the credit toward a degree from OVU, the student should seek approval from the registrar’s office before beginning such coursework. A transient form will need to be completed by the student and verified by an official in the OVU registrar’s office. The student is responsible for providing the completed transient letter to the host institution. Financial aid from OVU is not provided for transient courses unless a consortium agreement is also completed. Enrolling in courses at a host institution may affect a student’s financial aid. Once a student has completed transient courses, an official transcript of the student’s work must be sent to OVU. When a student enrolled at OVU completes a course at another institution and transfers that course back to OVU, the grade earned in that course might be calculated into the student’s OVU GPA; the Office of the Registrar should be contacted for a detailed policy. OVU students are limited in the number of transfer courses that can be used to complete a degree; at least 23 of the last 32 credit hours completed must be earned from Ohio Valley University. In other words, a maximum of 9 of the last 32 credit hours completed may be transfer hours.

Detailed transfer credit policies are available from the registrar’s office.