OVU Biology Degree
The bachelor of science with a major in Biology will prepare students for graduate programs and careers in biology. Students in the program will use scientific methodology to address questions appropriate to the discipline. Students will develop competence in application of the scientific method, writing within the discipline, and data collection and analysis. The program will integrate faith and learning in an environment designed to show students that they can be scientists and maintain a viable faith in God.
Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Biology
Students majoring in Biology must meet the following requirements:
- Satisfy the General Institutional Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Satisfy the requirements of the General Education program, which includes the following:
- General Education Course Requirements
- Bible Course Requirement
- Writing Competency Requirements
- Diversity Requirement
- Receive formal admission to the Biology program, preferably during a student’s sophomore year; the application is part of NSC 299.
Meet the following grade requirements:
- Earn at least a 2.5 GPA in all life science courses.
- Earn at least a 2.0 GPA in all physical science courses.
- Complete a portfolio of work satisfactory to the science faculty.
Complete 6 credit hours of mathematics by completing the following courses.
- MAT 229: Introduction to Statistics (3 credit hours)
MAT 151: College Algebra (3 credit hours) or higher
Consult your advisor to determine which math courses is best for your career goals.
Complete 68 credit hours distributed as follows:
34 credit hours of required life science coursework:
- NSC 141 General Biology I (4 credit hours)
- NSC 142 General Biology II (4 credit hours)
- NSC 310 Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credit hours)
- NSC 311 Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credit hours)
- NSC 400 Microbiology (4 credit hours)
- NSC 431 Ecology (4 credit hours)
- NSC 423 Genetics (3 credit hours)
- NSC 441 Cell Biology (3 credit hours)
- NSC 451 Senior Seminar (2 credit hours)
- NSC 489 Natural Sciences Practicum (2 credit hours)
27 credit hours of required physical science coursework:
- NSC 145 General Chemistry I (4 credit hours)
- NSC 146 General Chemistry II (4 credit hours)
- NSC 244 Physics I (4 credit hours)
- NSC 245 Physics II (4 credit hours)
- NSC 246 Organic Chemistry I (4 credit hours)
- NSC 247 Organic Chemistry II (4 credit hours)
- NSC 434 Biochemistry I (3 credit hours)
- NSC 299 Natural Sciences Program Admission (0 credit hours)
- 4 credit hours of elective science coursework
- ENG 333 Professional Writing (3 credit hours)
- 34 credit hours of required life science coursework: