The Special Education Institute at OVU
Increase your teaching credentials and improve the skills you take into your classroom.
The Special Education Institute at Ohio Valley University offers a wide range of fully accredited and state approved courses designed to lead to Special Education Endorsements in one or more of the following areas:
- Multicategorical (includes BD, LD, and MI)
- Behavior Disorders (without Autism)
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Impairments
Ohio Valley University also offers West Virginia mandated courses in Reading and Math that assist in professional development and skill-building.
All courses are offered in a blended format using an online course management system, providing maximum flexibility and convenience to teaching professionals.
Contact Jo Pennington at 304.865.6141 for more information today.
Dean, College of Education
Program Requirements for The Special Education Institute at OVU
Courses are offered in a blended format using an online course management system.
Classes Begin in early May, Mid-August, and Early January.
Class size is limited to 20 students. Payment must be received in OVU business office no later than one week before classes begin.
To enter the special education endorsement program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in education with current teaching certification in elementary education and/or secondary education with an endorsement in at least one of the following areas: math, language arts, science, or social studies.
Have successfully completed the following courses or equivalents:
- Introduction to Education (Foundations)
- Survey of Exceptional Children (Introduction to Special Education)
- Human Growth and Development
- Educational Psychology or Tests and Measurements
- Regular Education Student Teaching or Practicum
- Curriculum K-12 including Differentiated Instruction
Participants may earn an endorsement in one or more of the following areas: multi-categorical (includes BD, LD, MI, and Autism Spectrum Disorders), behavior disorders (without autism), autism, learning or intellectual disabilities. To complete the special education certification program, the following criteria must be met:
Successful completion of courses. Each curriculum course has a textbook and information will be provided to each student before the courses begin each semester.
- SPED 302 Behavior Disorders--Without Autism (3 hours)
- SPED 303 Learning Disabilities (3 hours)
- SPED 304 Mental Impairments (3 hours)
- SPED 305 Program Planning in Special Education (3 hours)
- SPED 306 Assessment in Special Education (3 hours)
- SPED 307 Collaboration and Consultation in Special Education (3 hours)
- SPED 308 Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders (3 credit hours)
- SPED 309 Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorders (3 credit hours)
- Completion of six hours of reading and three hours of math methods coursework.
- Passing score in the Praxis II test in Special Education for multi-categorical certification in West Virginia:
Praxis II 5543 Special Education: Core Knowledge & -Mild to Moderate Applications
- To register for Praxis II tests go online at www.ets.org/praxis
- Submit WVDE Application for Additional Endorsement, Form 8, $35, and Praxis II scores to Karen McConnell
SEND TRANSCRIPTS TO:
Ohio Valley University
1 Campus View Drive
Vienna, WV 26105-8000
FOR PROGRAM INFORMATION CONTACT:
School of Education Chair
REQUIRED ON-CAMPUS SESSIONS
On-campus class sessions will be held on the Ohio Valley University main campus in the Stotts Administrative Center. The Comfort Inn (304.424.5300-Parkersburg North) is the closest hotel to campus. Ask for the special OVU rate when making reservations. Another hotel close to campus is the Wingate Inn (800.228.1000).
IEP-PBIS Workshop-OVU Main Campus
IEP Workshop-mandatory for students in SPED 305, other students are welcome to attend. The workshop will be held on campus on Saturday on a date to be announced by the instructor.
The recommended Web browser for PC users is Internet Explorer 6.x, 7.0 or Firefox. For MAC users Safari or Firefox is recommended.
SPECIAL EDUCATION INSTITUTE COSTS
$415.00 per credit hour*
*Does not include Praxis test fees or textbooks
All financial arrangements must be completed one week before the Super Session. If applying for a loan, the loan must be approved one week before the Super Session. Loans can cover textbooks, fees and tuition. Travel expenses (up to $200) can also be included in your loan. Click for more information regarding Financial Aid.
To pay by credit card contact the OVU business office at 304.865.6078. Checks must be received in the Business Office one week before the Super Session, and are payable to Ohio Valley University.