- Assistance is available to help students secure internship experiences prior to graduating
- The program is designed to strike a balance between the scientific and practical applications of psychology, meeting the recommended student learning outcomes suggested by the American Psychology Association (APA)
- The School of Behavioral Sciences periodically hosts (or travels to) a variety of workshops and seminars that will allow students to gain related training and insights into the field of psychology
- Students must complete a practicum experience allowing them to gain real world experience
On Campus Activities
Psychology majors have opportunities to conduct student-led research projects to gain a hands-on understanding of the profession and build a project portfolio.
Students can also join the Psychology Club, which hosts a variety special events, programs and activities for the entire campus community to enjoy.
OVU hosts a campus chapter of Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology.
A variety of paths and opportunities are available to students who graduate with our bachelor of science in psychology:
- Clinical Psychologist
- School Counselor
- Clinical Social Worker
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Forensic Psychologist
- Industrial/Organizational Psychologist
- Child Case Worker
- School Psychologist
- Christian Counselor
- Youth and Family Minister
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Criminal Justice Worker
- Mental Health Services Administrator
- University/College Professor
- Educational Diagnostician
- Developmental Disabilities Specialist
- Sports Psychologist
To learn more about this degree program, contact:
Dr. Jonathan P. Miller
Chair, OVU School of Behavioral Sciences
Get the Guide!
The deep-rooted connections and mentoring I received at OVU aided me to appreciate healthy relationships and inspired me to build my counseling practice around this mission. Most importantly, the university taught me the most essential relationship to harvest was in Christ! Students looking to make a decision for their academic and professional development should consider OVU their place to call home.
Stephen Givens, MA, LPC, NCC (Doctoral Candidate)
CEO, Counseling & Wellness Center
OVU Class of 2009